Thursday, May 14, 2009

Expecting Lots

As I said when I arrived, I will be expecting lots, and I am holding up my end of the bargain.  Assignments will not be forgotten about with me.  I keep good records and I will hound you and send you to homework club at noon until I get the work!  Get used to it!  Students that keep up with their assignments will not have any issues with me, but I am not going to let you fall through the cracks by completing no work.  Work ethic is important to me.

Grade 7
Not a whole lot of news.  We got back our Science quizzes from last week and found that most of our scores were fairly low.  I have restructured our lessons to try and make more knowledge stick for more than a couple of hours.  I hope that we can see an improvement in this next chapter.  

In Math we are still working on circles and will have an exam in a bit more than a week.  

Math, Social, and Science will all have exams within the next two weeks.


Grade 8/9
Don't forget about the North Korea questions (Social).  Make sure to finish them by next Wednesday's class.  

In science we are looking at adaptation and succession.  These are very interesting topics surrounding why certain plants and animals thrive in certain habitats and cannot survive in others.


Math 9
Oh Math 9.  Oh oh oh.  This is Math.  For those that struggled to be successful on the exam you need to pick it up.  Marks were pretty poor for a lot of students, but there are no good excuses when you had a review that was extremely similar to the exam.  Next time you will be required to finish it; I assumed that completing a review was a logical step in studying!  I don't mean to be snarky, but I am experienced and knowledgable in math and I believe that this is an environment that anyone who puts forth an effort will experience success in.  That doesn't mean it is going to be easy, but it does mean that I will provide you with infinite assistance and encouragement as long as you are trying too.

Today we started Polynomials.  Much of the content is a repeat of the previous chapter.  We will be using Algebra Tiles in class which are a pretty cool hands-on approach to algebra.  Here is a link to an online version of Alge Tiles  http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/frames_asid_189_g_2_t_2.html .  

No comments:

Post a Comment